NZ vs Aus: Man what a hiding
December 16th, 2019
Everything that could go wrong did go wrong. Lost the toss, conceded 400+ and lost Lockie to injury, confidence knocked facing the new pink ball under lights, and CdG's match saving 100 sawn-off by an absolute howler of a decision just to add to it all
Man what a hiding. Everything that could go wrong did go wrong. Lost the toss, conceded 400+ and lost Lockie to injury, confidence knocked facing the new pink ball under lights, and CdG’s match saving 100 sawn-off by an absolute howler of a decision just to add to it all.
I didn’t think we’d win this test, but I was really hoping a few things would go our way to keep it at least sort of close so we have something to take to Melbourne. As it is we’re in disarray a bit now.
That said, I wouldn’t mind Stead sticking with the same 11. I don’t think there’s a huge amount to be gained from chopping and changing. Blundell will be tempting to open in place of Jeet but I’m not convinced he will fare any better - smacking a ton in an ODI is a far cry from facing the Aus quicks on the first morning of a test.
Some positives are:
- Southee was actually really, really good. If he bowls like that with Boult at the other end life will be really tough for the Aussie batsmen. He was getting beautiful shape and causing plenty of problems.
- Wags was his usual self and bowled really well, he’s such an asset.
- Ross got some time in the middle and should take some confidence from the way he played in the first innings - that was as tough as it gets in test cricket.
- Warner didn’t make many runs. Thank fuck for that. Fuck that guy.
That’s about it really.
- Santner offers nothing with the ball. He’s a batting all rounder or not in the test team for me. We can’t afford to carry players that are not quite good enough at either discipline - they have to make the team on one of those alone and the other should be a bonus. Otherwise we should stick to the best 6 batsmen, a keeper and the best 4 bowlers.
- No runs from captain fantastic, by God to we need him to come good in Melbourne.
- Not a lot of fight from the batsmen overall, folding weakly in both innings which caused Caps fans PTSD to go into overdrive. So disappointing given how good our lineup is these days.
Looking forward to the next match still, we absolutely do have a good enough side to win in Aus. We just need a few things to go our way to get a bit of confidence back.