With the Blues' 2019 Super Rugby campaign coming to an end, no doubt the discussion will intensify about the squad for 2020. Like last year, I've listed some facts about the 2019 Blues squad that could assist the discussion. (The list will be updated as soon as more information becomes available.)
- Below, I've started with the 2019 Blues squad that was named on 31 October 2018. (Note: I've followed the squad guide for the determination of a player's position, e.g., lock or loosie, or lock/loosie etc.)
- In italics, I have added the players that also played for the Blues in 2019, despite not being named in the initial squad.
- Between (brackets) are the number of games played this season (stats: Fox Sports).
- In bold are the players of which I know for sure that they are signed through to next season (obviously, this list may/will not be complete because the duration of contracts is often not published. Some signings aren't even published).
Strikethrough: players, who are known to be leaving.
Some of the questions are:
- In which positions do the Blues need to recruit more players?
- Who of the players of the initial 2019 squad would you like to see signed for 2020 (or longer)?
- Who of the players that played in 2019, but weren't in the initial squad, would you like to see signed for 2020 (or longer)?
- Which other player, who hasn't played for the Blues in 2019 and hasn't signed with another franchise (yet), would be on your wish list?
- Which player, who hasn't been signed yet, but played for the Blues in 2019, don't you want to be signed for 2020?
Li (Lua) (4)
Moulds (7) to Worcester Warriors
Goodhue (Josh) (12)
Scrafton (8) to Hurricanes
Brown (3) to Kintetsu Liners
Ioane (A) (16)
Tupou (-)to NTT Communications Shining Arcs
Pulu (13) back to to Hino Red Dolphins (?)
Ruru (J) (13)
^ new signing for 2020: Finlay Christie
^ new signing for 2020: Beauden Barrett (after extended break)
Williams (SB) (6)
Ioane (R) (14)
Nanai (16) to Worcester Warriors
(Please, let me know if you're sure I've missed a signing - if you can give me a link to a source, I'll correct it in the list above.)